On March 15, Jan Page and Mary Smith conducted a very informative tour of Machattie Park for 26 members.
The town block was first set aside in 1832 for public use, however most of the area was originally used from 1837 as a new goal and also from 1847 Bathurst’s first court house.
The goal was later removed when a new goal was opened in its present location on the Orange road.
In the 1890s the cottage, fernery, propogation house, band rotunda, fountains and waterbird house were constructed.
click to see original park plan